Monday 14 July 2014

C A T F I S H  A N D  T H E  B O T T L E M E N


Ladies and gentlemen, it's finally time for me to express my utter adoration for the band on everybodies lips at the minute, Catfish and The Bottlemen! With their hit singles, Kathleen and Fallout, recently being buzzed by radio stations and their anticipated album to be out later this year, I'll give you a track by track review of their outstanding 2010 EP- The Beautiful Decay.

I discovered these lads at the back-end of last autumn and since then they've been my favourite band, alongside The 1975, Broken Hands and Arctic Monkeys.
So, without further ado:

BODIES - this track kickstarts the EP with a rocky intro- an almost organised chaos of a clash of instruments. However, just before Van Mccann's vocals there is a definite diminuendo. This allows you to be taken away in the vocals, yet the music is still strong enough for you to get that feeling that only occurs in iconic songs, where you utterly are engrossed by the music (can you tell that I love this EP yet?) 'The things I do just to get you out of those clothes, cause they love my floor' and 'please get me away from him, cause he's starting to do my head right in' are lyrics you can almost hear a huge crowd singing in the back of your mind when you listen to this introduction to a gorgeous EP.

COLLIDE- This could arguably be described to have a more 'classic pop' feel to it. Almost like Scouting for Girls but without token accents and the word 'luvverly'. Much like their other songs, the hooks are brilliant and the chorus is very catchy.


HARLOT - This song opens with 'The Wombats'style backing vocals, with a raspy rock twang. The lyrics are witty and this song is a definite crowd pleaser at gigs. 

TYRANTS- OKAY, everybody sit down and listen up, not only is this my favourite song from this EP, or my favourite song by this band, but it is possibly my favourite song ever. Why? Is it the outstanding hooks? The raspy, gorgeous vocals? Or the beautiful yet relatable lyrics? 'Eyes rolled back, guess we were living fast' 'it was so rare to see you sober, so the street lights will carry us home' 'your divine ribs would help break mine, we hit the ground, yeah let's hit the ground'. I don't know, but what I do know is that this song will go down in history. I also know that this song brings out dance moves in you that were previously exclusive to 13-year-old scene kids. You heard it here first...now all I need to do is get this performed acoustically for me...yes? Yes.


TRIPPIN- this instrumental almost comes hand in hand with Tyrants, and is often played straight into the end. I, however, believe that even on it's own it's a favourite Catfish and The Bottlemen track. Why? Well, there is something very comforting in a classic indie-rock instrumental that perfectly frames the musical talent of each member of the band.

I'll have the pleasure of seeing these lads live at both Tramlines Sheffield and Leeds fest this year, so I'll be sure to give them a live review!

No comments:

Post a Comment